1.19.2009

winter's warmth

Thankful Monday.
Last week, winter cried truce and temporarily faded away.  In the midst of muck in my front flower bed, the bulbs have claimed back their yearly presence.   I couldn't have been happier.  New, green plants!  In January.  In Idaho!  
We, (being me and my children by default), were so excited that we ignored all rules of winter, donned our work wear and spend an afternoon outdoors.  I, cleaning out weeds and plants that should have been pulled last fall and the kids, turning on hoses (in January.  in Idaho!), and digging in the mud. 
It was as if we transported to June for a few hours.  Absolutely as good as going someplace tropical for a winter reprieve, but without the busy airports, language barriers, strange bugs and sunburns.  

Today, Thankful Monday, I am grateful for my little glimpse of warmer days to come.  Who needs a groundhog to predict winter's demise when you have tulips to do the job?

Speaking of demise, the next up-coming post is going to have a big announcement.  Stay tuned.

What are you thankful for today?

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe you have flowers! I am jealous! I am thankful for warmer weather for my kids to go outside for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had 70 degrees today in Colorado and enjoyed a little bit of sunshine and warmth ourselves. And I'm thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous too!

    I can't wait to live somewhere where we can play in the water again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am thankful for a little sunshine! I sent my kids outside with their "Band-In-A-Bucket" Grandma gave them for Christmas (yea, thanks again Grandma!) and enjoyed the parade from the quiet of inside. Ahh, the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been warm in Salt Lake too. But there's mounds of smog trapped in the valley, so we can't go outside and enjoy the warmth. Boo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today, I am thankful for that I able to do the things I want to do; because of my health and my desire.

    ReplyDelete