11.03.2008

Fixing the freak out.

Most things this past haunted weekend were quite subdued around our home. We still haven't even carved a pumpkin. Although, there have been several promises to the kids of "We will!" and "Maybe tomorrow's." So, maybe tonight. Jack-O-Lanterns like November, I am told.

Image from edupics.com

A misguided judgement call take the kids for flu and immunization shots did not end well on Halloween day. How many 5 & 3-year-olds are excited to get shots? Mine were. There was a lot of bribery involved, which included extra trick-or-treating and Sonic Limeades.

First, the 3-year-old was upset because she wouldn't be getting any shots. She was lucky enough to get the flu mist. How many would be sad about that? But, as I said, there was a lot of talk and sugared bribes involved in the prep work of this office visit.

Then, my oldest. My play-it-cool-to-his-sister-and-be-tough son. It was the awaited day of the booster shots. He hopped up to my lap, dropped his pants and was ready.

Was.

Then, wasn't.

It ended up taking 3 of us to hold him down.

Freak out. And not the fun Halloween freak out, mind you.



Later in the day, it was trick-or-treat time. The near-by town is the place to go. We walked up and down a few blocks of old buildings with hundreds of other sticky fingered, sweating under the layers of costumes. They were tired from the days adventures, (mis-adventures). They were hot from the beautiful afternoon weather. I chose to wear my tall, cute, but not-so-practical boots. Needless to say, it wasn't the most exciting of days for us. However, the saloons (that's right, saloons, not bars) in town gave out fantastic candy. And, what is wrong with small children walking in to dimly lit "over-21" establishments for a little candy once a year? Ummm...don't answer that.

The day ended early. The only door we knocked on was Grandma's. Dinner was microwaved corn dogs by Grandpa.

Lots of candy? Yes.

Lots of fun? Not so much.

No magic.

In an effort to spice up the weekend, we learned that the "Switch Witch" would be paying a visit to our home. The Switch Witch is a good witch with a major sweet tooth. She will trade goods for goodies. Sometimes she leaves books in the night, some houses she leaves toys. What would she bring to ours?

The Switch Witch must have been very tired by the time she got to our house- so she sat right on our couch and ate all of her candy, evidenced by the wrappers strewn about the trunk (our version of a coffee table). She must have forgotten to go to the dollar store for books the day before, so she left penny rolls instead. She played a little trick in exchange for her treats. The kids woke up with their bedding switched. My son, opened his eyes covered in a sea of his sister's pink bedding. My daughter awoke with cars and trucks parked above her belly on a very much not-her-own bedspread.

How did the Switch Witch do that?
"She must be magic!" "Do you think she said PRESTO with her wand?"

There were pieces of torn green crepe paper marking everywhere the witch had been in our house. She even left her hat!

"Do you think she will come back for it?"

"We had better lock the doors!"



Thankful Monday: I am so thankful for the absolute innocence of childhood. The ability to forget a VERY un-magical Friday and revel in a very mysteriously magic Sunday morning.



Now, I must go hide in my closet for the 14th time in the last 24 hours to stuff my cheeks with a little hidden already un-wrapped chocolate.



What are you thankful for today?

10 comments:

  1. I've never HEARD of the Switch Witch before! Maybe we'll need to be inviting her over to our house next year!

    I'm thankful that SOMEDAY my children will be able to go potty all by themselves and I won't have to help them swish their dirty underwear in the toilet everyday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful that the election, and all the hateful ads, is almost over.

    One. More. Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am thankful for childhood. My 2-year-old tried to give the dentist back the toothpaste that was put in his trick or treat bag! classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story of the Switch witch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I am thankful that I am not in bed sick anymore (it was a long, rough weekend). And I'll be really grateful when the day is over because I believe it's riviling one of my worst days EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for bedtime. Not just my kids' this time - mine.
    I LOVE the Switch Witch. I just may have to get her to visit us next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful that Luke is making me dinner tonight because I really didn't feel like cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful for our "surprise baby" on the way :) It took a while for us to get pregnant with our first so I am very thankful for this little gift! (Even if it does make me violently ill 80% of the day!)

    I love the switch witch idea btw! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me get this straight - the Switch Witch takes ALL the candy and leaves penny rolls? And your kids are totally cool with this? Impressive!

    This week I am thankful for a penny-pinching husband who has guarded our credit score with his life. Thanks to his frugality and money-smarts, I am sitting in my very first home and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not all of the candy- they pick out a few favorites to keep and give up the rest, with the knowlegde that the more they give, the more they will get. They really, really liked doing it.

    ReplyDelete