7.08.2008

CHALLENGE......Procrastinate Not

Months and months ago, my sister-in-laws and I had the brilliant idea to create a book for our husbands' grandmother about her life. LAST summer we started, and planned to finish the book well in time for a Christmas gift. Christmas came and went, Grandma passed away and we continued our brilliant idea.... now to be finished in time for the summer's family reunion. The reunion is now 2 weeks away, one sister-in-law has worked A LOT on the project and the other two.....not so much. I, (surprise, surprise), am in the "other two" category.

I am the QUEEN of procrastination. In fact, I am so good at it, that my days revolve around playing catch-up on everything I procrastinate. Today, for example:

Woke up- late.
Instead of feeding my kids breakfast, we all went outside while I attempted to find my pumpkin and tomato plants underneath a thick blanket of weeds.
After finishing about 1/3 of the rows, we went inside- 3 out 4 of the group crying in hunger. Then, I let the 2 & 4-year-old eat chips while I nursed the baby. Yes, I said chips for breakfast.
Finally, we had cold cereal 3 hours after waking up.
NEXT: talked on the phone with aforementioned sister-in-laws and realized that the midnight hour of our project was here.
THEN: Of course, I had to check my blog, email, daily surf sites....because you know, that is a necessity when you have actual important things to do.
Glancing at the clock, I contemplated putting off my errands in town until tomorrow, but then remembered I had an even bigger project to procrastinate, so of course, went to town. After spending the entire afternoon in town, running errands, paying bills that should have been paid long ago, and buying some flowers- because you know, I needed to buy new flowers today, because, you know, I don't have enough yard projects that I am not caught up on....refer back to the beginning of the day.
Eventually, we made it home. The kids found their 2nd wind and now, after 10 pm, the 2-year-old is still awake and singing her own rendition of "Moooommmmmm, I neeeeedddd a dddrriiiinnnnk," over and over again. I guess I was asking for it when I let her have chips for breakfast.
So, here I sit, typing away on my blog- instead of Grandma's book. I am sitting next to a humongous pile of unfolded laundry, and looking at a table full of dirty dishes. I have until tomorrow mid-day to have my part of the book finished. I should probably get on with this week's challenge and maybe get started.

Speaking of this week's challenge- did anyone notice that it is the END of Tuesday that it is being posted this week? I guess I procrastinated that too. Go figure.

CHALLENGE.....Procrastinate Not

As far as playing catch up to past procrastinations- we aren't even going to go there- this would have to become a lifetime challenge for me if we did that- SO....

NO procrastinating this week! Do the task right off the bat.
Wow. I am smiling just thinking about how amazing my day would go if I would just get things done as they come to me.

Old habits are hard to break, but if only for a few days- hopefully a week, stay on top of things. Think constantly, this little jingle I just invented...
A date. A date...to not procrastinate.
A date. A date.....to not procrastinate!
Dorky, I know, but I bet you will think it at least once this week.

And an evil side of me hopes that you get this silly little chant stuck in your head all day long. HA!

So, anyone "in?"

16 comments:

  1. In.....a need this challenge desperately. Too much to do this week.....gotta get rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, this is going to be a challenge for me, but I accept! Things are piling up and I have company coming...tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am the WORST procrastinator. In fact, it's so bad that it kindof really messes up my WHOLE life. I will TRY, TRY, TRY not to procrastinate this week. I didn't get one thing done yesterday, so here I sit with a messy house that it still going to be messy at the end of today, too unless I just start doing things. here I go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! I needed this challenge a week ago. I have a full day of people in and out of my house as well as company for a week starting tomorrow. My house is in no way shape or form for all this activity. Procrastination is my middle name! I can even procrastinate dinner by checking blogs instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! I procrastinate with the best of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh okay. I'll go wash the dishes. And put away the laundry. And sweep the floor again. And make those cookies. (tiny whimper) And make the bed. And put up the curtains that Zaylee pulled down. And wipe the stove and counters. (another whimper) And work on the shopping list. And think of something for dinner...

    Is it any wonder that Moms procrastinate? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, what a hard (and perfect) week for this! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So dare I do this one with EVERYTHING that I have to accomplish this week..... okay Im in. Please wish me luck, are there enough hours in the day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving finding out that I'm not alone in all of these things! I, too, procrastinate like there's no tomorrow... if that's possible. I accept. So, on that note, To the Dishes!

    (I will, however, leave this page up on the computer while I do the dishes, to remind me that there is much more to the Ponytail Challenge that I have missed while I've been away...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a newbie to blogging and I have to say I love your site! Definitely some good challenges for me.
    ...ok...as much as I hate, too...I'm in. I am such a terrible or should I say wonderful procrastinator??? let's just say i think there is a reason i have started reading blogs and just started my own today ...ummm...it definitely wasn't to avoid doing housework or the countless other things i need to be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally in! My house has fallen apart lately, and it definately needs me to start working on it. Thanks for the GREAT challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. UM...I'll let you know tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My next big thing I procrastinate - next to housework - is planting. I buy lots of plants and then water them in their sad little containers for weeks, watching them die. Waste of money? Yeah.

    This week I didn't! I got my roses in the ground that same day, and the other plants in their pots on the porch just a couple days after buying. Stuff didn't die, although some zinnias got a little wilted, they'll come back soon.

    Success! (and my porch and garden look better too) I guess I should catch up on all the housework I am behind on now, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in! I bought material for fancy pillows months ago! I'm gonna get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just so you all know- I have (at least for this week) re-learned the lesson I keep having to learn.......procrastination is bad, bad, bad.

    I always say that I do my best work under pressure, but I think after this week I need to amend that thought. I only do work under pressure.....I am attempted to see how I do when not facing a looming deadline.

    I hope the rest of you are seeing some progress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ack! I totally procrastinated responding to this post!

    OK - from this second forward, NO PROCRASTINATING. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete